[Haifux] Pulseaudio: Sounds good in theory

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Wed Jan 5 05:06:08 MSK 2011

I see that the votes stand at 1:1 right now. Anyhow, I didn't even think
about uninstalling the relevant rpm (if I can find which one it is) just
to see my whole computer getting uninstalled.

Upgrading is not my cup of tea either. As for the things I want to do,
I'll take that question as a car mechanic asking me where I want to
drive to. The answer is everywhere reasonable for that kind of car.

In my case, I want any possible application involving sound to work. In
the past, I've even written small command line applications that opened
/dev/dsp directly. I wonder if that's possible today without a B.Sc.
from Red Hat University.

The bottom line is that everything works if I kill pulseaudio before
starting a given application. And hey, that's slightly better than
fixing things by rebooting the computer, which I suppose is soon to be
the best advice Linux people will get for solving their problems. Does
that remind some other OS?

And the solutions offered are to do things without understanding why
they work, if they work. Does that remind some other OS?

Since it seems like I won't understand how pulseaudio works, and it
happens to work so-so, I think the best thing is to kill it without that
little Frankenstein waking up again. Even just to see what happens.
Isn't that the good old way to check things?

The irony is that I have no idea how to do it. And if applications
really depend on it in the practical sense.

(I googled "get rid pulseaudio fedora" as suggested. That was a good
lead. Maybe I'll find something interesting there)

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il