[Haifux] Pulseaudio: Sounds good in theory

Maxim Kovgan kovganm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 03:05:02 MSK 2011

hi.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I've been doing some sound editing lately on my FC12, just to discover that
> there is a new annoyance in town, namely Pulseaudio.
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio
>
>  I discovered it when Audacity failed to play back files or made choppy
> noises. Other applications also seem to get messed up with this piece of
> I-don't-know-what.
>

> My first instinct is to kick it out of my system, but since Fedora is a
> system for experts (are they going to open a Red Hat University soon?) I
> don't really know how to do that and what consequences I may face. I mean,
> it's not so easy to just shut down. Killing the server makes it restart (as
> a matter of fact, killall -9 pulseaudio has become my catch-all solution for
> audio problems lately). And I haven't even figured out how to disable this
> restart mechanism.

don't kick it. many packages depend on it.
gnome, kde...

> And unfortunately, with all those fancy graphs and fluffy talk about
> generalized everything, I haven't gotten to grasp how the machinery ticks.
> Are there any special files? Domain sockets? What?
>
> forget it :)

please explain what do you do with audio,
maybe it makes sense to make sure you have the right version of audacity (or
additional packages for its pulseaudio support installed)

> Does anyone have insights about this? Is there any reason why this audio
> server could be really useful, except for all the fine words said about it?
> Weren't things OK as they were in the good old times, when audio was just
> /dev/dsp?
>
> there were many problems back then. it was old oss interface with no
parallel device access, and many other problems.
you may try using oss v4, but I doubt fedore included a pulse audio package
with support to oss v.4

> But most important of all: Should I give this thing a mighty kick in the
> bottom? And if so, how?

don't do that. see the 1st remark.

please specify your work tasks.

> Thanks,