[Haifux] Where were the organizers?

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Tue May 11 13:14:09 MSD 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Nir Abulaffio
<anir at research.haifa.ac.il>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> Indeed we had no luck yesterday. I was late, and I would like to
> apologize for that (I was at a funeral and had a traffic jam getting to
> Haifa) So I am really really sorry, Roy.
> If I had been in time, I might have remebered to go to the "ahraii-binyan"
> and get the key.
> This is the second time, lately, that we have problems.
> I cannot complain, putting no effort into organizing, however, we,
> [we= the whole haifux] should realize that in certain cases SOME logistics
> is required.
>
> Some cases: when (1) one of us gives a lecture, and just 4 people show up
> and there are organizational problems... we understand. BUT, when (2) a
> guy comes from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem (faces traffic, or Bus travel and
> expenses AND TIME) and the same happens, Then... THIS should not happen.
> Shachar was, maybe, the first to put this in writing: he wrote on
> 02 Jun 2009 12:01:42 :
> "giving a Haifux lecture requires some effort on my part. Aside from
> everything else, this requires getting out of work at about 4 pm and drive
> to Haifa, as well as ...[cut]
> All this I will gladly do, and enjoy it...[cut]
> I, on my part, am more than willing to leave work early, drive both
> direction and give the lecture,
> BUT YOU HAVE TO DO ONE THING IN RETURN. SHOW UP
> but you have to do one thing in return. Show up."
> (the uppercase in mine, Nir)
>
> So, in case (2) we (we=as above) should be reasonably sure that there be
> adequate audience and logistics.
> I am not counting the last meeting, run by Orr, who happens to have a key.
> very few people showed up. Orr also comes from rather far away...
> Apologies, Orr.
>
> Ram was there yesterday, and told me he has to work to prepare the
> lecture. Do we want to file this under case (2) ?
> Also, a guy called Sela (after consulting me) offered to give a lecture
> about something and got a reply "Your message to Haifux awaits moderator
> approval" --> "awaits"  for how long ? This is not encouraging...

Hi Nir, and everyone else who has the initiative to enlist speakers:

Please direct potential speakers to webmaster at haifux.org, not to the
the "moderation" response you just described, and will reach Eli, Orr and
me, who can schedule the lecture.

Thanks
Orna

--