[Haifux] Coputer stores in Haifa with Linux in mind

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sun Aug 22 20:46:27 MSD 2010

The question is what you mean by supporting Linux. Which distribution
and what version? What kind of hardware support do you expect? A stable
driver supporting all features, bundled with the distro? Maybe the
ability to download a driver from somewhere? Or maybe an experimental
driver, which may or may not be the reason for occasional crashes?

My point is: Given the variety of Linux flavors, it's impossible to
really support Linux in general. The only thing a serious computer store
can do, is to build a computer, install a certain Linux distro and
verify everything is OK. That means having a lot of choices made for you.

So I would suggest to build your own computer with components from known
brands. Some hardware features may not work at the first go, but if
you're ready to put up with a mildly crippled computer for a few months,
upgrading the kernel is very likely to solve it all (give or take
drivers you must download manually). The condition is sticking to
widespread hardware.

Good luck,

    Eli

Web: http://www.billauer.co.il