[Haifux] save my Linux

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:34:42 MSD 2009

Hi Zohar,

I second Dotan - since Ubuntu 7.10 is no longer supported, it would be risky
to run it even if you succeed in your recovery attempts, because you will
have to update packages manually. It is possible, but if, as you say, you
are not so good with Linux, then you want the easy and quick solution for
updating your system. Ubuntu 9.04 has a very convenient updating system - it
pops up to tell you what updates exist, that you have not installed already,
and if you try to use a command which is included in a package you have not
installed, it tells you what package to install in order to have that
command.

I do not see any installation party in the near future, although some
people, including Amichai Rotman,  talked about it recently. However, Linux
installation nowadays is very easy and safe, so just burn the iso and
install.

You are always welcome to Haifux, of course, for lectures and help (you can
bring your laptop before the meeting, and people can try to help you). There
are also advisors in the CS farm (what faculty are you?) who specialize in
Linux, their room is at the back of the farm, and reception hours are on the
door.

Orna.