[Haifux] Linux Party

Adir Abraham adir at hamakor.org.il
Tue Jan 27 19:37:01 MSK 2009

Hi,

On 1/27/09, Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> To begin with, I find the expressions "Insta party" and "Linux party"
> somewhat, uhhm, wrong. I've been in several such "parties" and for some
> reason, it didn't look very jolly, for some reason. More like a lot of
> pale faces staring on screens. How about "meeting the gurus"? ;)

This is how it started:
http://stason.org/TULARC/os/linux-install.html

I don't understand why the name sounds wrong.

Anyhow, I would like to suggest the following trick: The student pushes
> his or her Disk on Key to the lab's computer, and the computer installs
> a bootable lightweight distro, which includes everything needed for
> development (including Openoffice). Plus their own home directory. And
> yes, I know I touch a sensitive, yet fixable issue here (USB sticks).

A DoK is not a solution, but a way to prevent a "problem". Many students do
that nowadays, and still want to know Linux better and/or get in trouble
with Linux and development tools. In addition to that, if you want to
develop in Linux, I find this extra-hardware solution quite awkward.

Assuming that it will be well crafted, this means that this student can
> now plug this key on ANY computer, and go on working. The data will be
> stored on the Disk on Key, so this should be plug-and-go. Buying a USB
> stick for this purpose sounds reasonable for the purpose of programming
> Java at your grandma's.

So, instead of dealing with the "problem" (Linux installation for all kind
of uses), we tell them to pay extra money for a DoK? That's quite a good way
to make them leave Linux as soon as they finish their courses, and in the
meantime struggling with all kind of problems. We haven't really solved any
problem.

This will solve all the compatibility issues.  Main headache:  To make
> it work.

So we're back to the beginning point - we need to make things work. If it
was that easy, no DoK should have been suggested.

Adir