[Haifux] Linux Party

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Tue Jan 27 21:10:24 MSK 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:19:48PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:
> Hello,
>

> To begin with, I find the expressions "Insta party" and "Linux party"
> somewhat, uhhm, wrong. I've been in several such "parties" and for some
> reason, it didn't look very jolly, for some reason. More like a lot of
> pale faces staring on screens. How about "meeting the gurus"? ;)
>

> Anyhow, I would like to suggest the following trick: The student pushes
> his or her Disk on Key to the lab's computer, and the computer installs
> a bootable lightweight distro, which includes everything needed for
> development (including Openoffice). Plus their own home directory. And
> yes, I know I touch a sensitive, yet fixable issue here (USB sticks).

I'm not sure about the status of Ubuntu's casper, but at least
debian-live should be able to create such an image based on the version
installed on the workstations.

Including support for persistance (saving the changes in the live
system)

> Assuming that it will be well crafted, this means that this student can
> now plug this key on ANY computer, and go on working. The data will be
> stored on the Disk on Key, so this should be plug-and-go. Buying a USB
> stick for this purpose sounds reasonable for the purpose of programming
> Java at your grandma's.
>
> This will solve all the compatibility issues.  Main headache:  To make
> it work.

Added bonus: make it able to run using a small qemu binary on the CD.
I know this worked at least once, but not sure what's the status of
that.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best