[Haifux] Linux Party

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Tue Jan 27 19:19:48 MSK 2009

Hello,

To begin with, I find the expressions "Insta party" and "Linux party"
somewhat, uhhm, wrong. I've been in several such "parties" and for some
reason, it didn't look very jolly, for some reason. More like a lot of
pale faces staring on screens. How about "meeting the gurus"? ;)

Anyhow, I would like to suggest the following trick: The student pushes
his or her Disk on Key to the lab's computer, and the computer installs
a bootable lightweight distro, which includes everything needed for
development (including Openoffice). Plus their own home directory. And
yes, I know I touch a sensitive, yet fixable issue here (USB sticks).

Assuming that it will be well crafted, this means that this student can
now plug this key on ANY computer, and go on working. The data will be
stored on the Disk on Key, so this should be plug-and-go. Buying a USB
stick for this purpose sounds reasonable for the purpose of programming
Java at your grandma's.

This will solve all the compatibility issues.  Main headache:  To make
it work.

   Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il