[Haifux] LINUX and SSDL

Yossi Gil yossi.gil at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:22:50 MSK 2009

Hi Eli and Yotam:

Just to answer your questions: SSDL is a laboratory for software engineering
students at the Technion. We have 20 workstations (equipped fairly
impressively, lots of RAM, dual screens, HZs, etc.)

We migrated to Ubuntu 8.04 at the beginning of the school year. Up until
then, we used Windows.

Read all about the lab in
http://ssdl-linux.cs.technion.ac.il/wiki/index.php/Main_Page. We are located
in the second floor in Taub. I am looking forward to any cooperation: in
particular, I would be happy to make the facilities available to you guys
for your lectures, etc. T
I think that Zvi Dvir, Ronen Avarbaneal, Orr Dunkelman and Rami Rozen
were/are Technion students and I hear that you run your meetings at the
Technion.

I am in the process of making welcome page to Linux, to resolve many of the
students initial fears. Here is what I wrote so far:

http://ssdl-linux.cs.technion.ac.il/wiki/index.php/Beginning_SSDL_users

The links you provide are excellent!! Any chance I could use the material in
the Wiki? Anyone here interested in taking control of the Wiki sections
pages, used to introduce Linux to students?

We have a number of technical problems. Your experience here could help:

1. FF3 sometimes slows down to a halt on Flash.
2. Running FF3 is not possible if a user is logged on to multiple stations.
3. Eclipse issues...

I also have my personal technical question, which you may be able to help
in. I use Linux on a wireless home network, and I would like to do a couple
of wireless network mounts, prior to any login screens. Any ideas on how I
convince the computer to connect to the wireless before I logon?

Yossi