[Haifux] "Windows-Free" laptops in Haifa

Zvi Devir zdevir at cs.technion.ac.il
Sun Feb 8 20:41:39 MSK 2009

Hi Dan,

There is no law (in Israel) that forbids bundling laptops with Windows.
Since almost all laptops come with Windows preinstall, it is pointless
to search for white box laptop, as those are usually low-end laptops.

You should buy the laptop you want with whatever OS it comes with, and
afterwards request a refund from the manufacturer according to the EULA.
The precedent I've set will make it harder for the manufacturer to
reject your request. Furthermore, if you want to take it all the way, I
can provide help with writing the letters, filling a small court claim
and representation in the court. However, I won't start the process with
you unless you really want to go all the way (up to district court if
required).

BTW, Next Sunday I will give a rerun of my Haifux lecture at Telux, for
those of you who missed it.

Cheers,
Zvi.