[Haifux] The 10th tip?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sat Feb 7 15:45:48 MSK 2009

On Saturday 07 February 2009 14:20:38 guy keren wrote:
> 6. adding parametrized bookmarks and short-cutting them (copied from a
> user's comment on some blog page):
>
> [ begin quote ]
> Awesome article! Learned a few tricks here, to be sure. However, the
> feature that I find most useful about Firefox is the ability to not only
> use keywords to open particular bookmarks (see #5 above) but to
> parametrize those keywords. This process allows you to create custom
> commandline-esque macros that you can execute from your addressbar. For
> instance, if I type “gi the pyramids” into my adddress bar, I’m taken to
> the google image search page with a bunch of pictures of the pyramids in
> egypt, as if I had entered “the pyramids” into the search box on the
> site. The process is as follows:
>
> 1) Bookmark a site. Typically, you’ll want to search for something on
> the site and bookmark that search page.
> (http://images.google.com/images?q=the%20pyramids)
> 2) Edit the properties of the bookmark (right-click).
> 3) Put your desired keyword in the keyword field (gi). [editor: you may
> need to click on 'more' to see the keyboard field]
> 4) In the location field, find the keyword that you searched for and
> replace it with “%s”. (http://images.google.com/images?q=%s)
> 5) Save the bookmark and test it out. Type “gi hoover dam” into the
> address bar. Then repeat for all of your favorite sites. w00t!
> [ end quote ]

For this, in recent versions of Firefox, you can right-click on an input box
(say of a search engine), and select "Add a Keyword for this search".

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> --guy

Parody on "The Fountainhead" - http://xrl.us/bjria

<mauke>    I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
           achieve?
<PerlJam>  mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
           the last thing standing in my way! ;)