[Haifux] The 10th tip?

guy keren choo at actcom.co.il
Sat Feb 7 15:20:38 MSK 2009

1. another KDE tip (please verify it works in current KDE systems):
there is a tool named 'klipper', which allows you to save the last 10
(or more) copied entries. whenever you copy something, it gets pushed
into klipper's window as well, and when you click on an entry in klipper
- it gets copied again. this gets quite handy when writing programs.

   for gnome: there's a 'glipper' application. ubuntu 8.04 has it - just
make sure you install it on the lab machines. to have it on the screen,
right-click on the desktop panel, choose "add applet", and choose
"clipboard manager". click on the new clipboard icon to see the list of
historied "copy" operations and click on any of them to make it re-copied.

2. it will be a good idea to give a tip about virtual desktops. although
they are "right there" on the task bar, many people don't know this, or
simply don't think its useful because they are used to the single
desktop on windows. i'm spending time at work to show people how to use
virtual desktops effectively. two important things:

    1. chose a theme for each desktop (e.g. one to read email, one to
surf the web, one to program, etc.).
    2. you can give the virtual desktop names that will appear on
task-bars, instead of just numbers. chose short names (3-4 letters long)
   such as "web", "mail", "prog" to avoid this feature taking too much
taskbar space.
    3. be consistent in how you use the virtual desktop, and it'll pay
you big time. no more need to iconify, de-iconify and flip through
windows, or having a very squeezed and non-useful task bar.
    4. you can navigate between the virtual desktops both using the
mouse (click) and using the keyboard (usually it's alt+arrow_key or
alt+ctrl+arrow_key to move between them left and right, up and down -
but the default might vary in KDE).

3. opening a system monitor applet on the desktop's panel, will help you
identify cases when your progam has gone into an infinite loop easily
(you'll see the CPU suddenly using 100% CPU when your program got stuck
- that's a good sign). of-course, this will also happen when your web
browser's flash plug-in works too hard in sites like ynet ;)

4. here is a strange KDE-specific tip copied from a web site at:

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Tips%20and%20Tricks&pagenum=26#You_can_Move_the_Mouse_with_Your_Keyboard

[ begin quote ]
You can Move the Mouse with Your Keyboard
You can configure KDE so you can move the mouse pointer with the arrow
keys on your numeric keyboard. Just hit Alt-F12, use the arrow keys, and
hit enter to click! The keyboard then returns to normal mode — hit
alt-F12 again to move the mouse another time.

For permanent effects, navigate to KControl -> Peripherals -> Mouse ->
Mouse Navigation Tab and click the "Move mouse with keyboard" box.
The default settings didn't work great for me--I use a maximum speed of
110 and an acceleration time of 2000.

To fire a mouse click, press the "5" key on the numeric key pad, or "enter".
[ end quote ]

even if it is not going to be very useful - it may still make people laugh.

for gnome, you need to enable this via:
System->Preferences->Assistitive Technologies->Keyboard
Accessibility->Mouse keys->Pointer can be controlled using keypad.

check the option, and configure its settings). then, the numeric keypad
becomes your "mouse".

5. firefox has very nice add-ons. here is an example - an inline
dictionary. install it from this URL:

      and after it is installed (and firefox restarted) you can select a
word in firefox, right-click and choose 'lookup' from the context menu.

6. adding parametrized bookmarks and short-cutting them (copied from a
user's comment on some blog page):

[ begin quote ]
Awesome article! Learned a few tricks here, to be sure. However, the
feature that I find most useful about Firefox is the ability to not only
use keywords to open particular bookmarks (see #5 above) but to
parametrize those keywords. This process allows you to create custom
commandline-esque macros that you can execute from your addressbar. For
instance, if I type “gi the pyramids” into my adddress bar, I’m taken to
the google image search page with a bunch of pictures of the pyramids in
egypt, as if I had entered “the pyramids” into the search box on the
site. The process is as follows:

1) Bookmark a site. Typically, you’ll want to search for something on
the site and bookmark that search page.
(http://images.google.com/images?q=the%20pyramids)
2) Edit the properties of the bookmark (right-click).
3) Put your desired keyword in the keyword field (gi). [editor: you may
need to click on 'more' to see the keyboard field]
4) In the location field, find the keyword that you searched for and
replace it with “%s”. (http://images.google.com/images?q=%s)
5) Save the bookmark and test it out. Type “gi hoover dam” into the
address bar. Then repeat for all of your favorite sites. w00t!
[ end quote ]

--guy