[Haifux] W2L + Installation party?

Orr Dunkelman orr.dunkelman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 20:44:49 MSD 2008

Adir wrote:
> We want to:
> 1) Show them that it's working with their computer
live CD.

> 2) Give them a system that they can use later at home
If they cannot install today's distro at their own, they won't be able
to handle it later at home. We are past the times of delicate
partitioning, OSS failures, and ppp configurations (and let's not
forget the crappy driver support the 2.0.36 kernel had with comparison
to (that era's) windows).

> What I meant is that we won't let them work on the partitions by themselves,
> but we'll do it for them.

This is the only thing that they actually need to do on their own
today. The install software is even nice enough to ask you what you
want to boot...

> "Playing" in the general term... Once you commit to install, you will use it
> because it's in your computer. That's why actually people brought their
> computers all the time...

I know of dead installations that nobody touched since it was
installed. And people brought their computer because they could not do
it themselves. They can do it themselves today.

> I think that it was not organized well last times. I even explained it a few
> times. The low numbers are the reason for the bad organization, and lessons
> were taken. It still is a matter of willing to help, and not talking in
> numbers. The people will arrive if it is properly arranged. The installation
> can be part of a Linux Day, so more people will arrive. The instaparty must
> be linked somehow to a series of lectures for begineers, either as part of a
> Welcome to Linux day or as a separate day just for installations and
> relevant lectures, as it used to be.

I agree that there were problems in organization. However, if we
failed to prepare it in a good manner for four times, I find it very
hard to believe it will succeed in the fifth. Especially as the number
of volunteers has dropped (even finding lecturers for haifux is not as
easy in the past), as Actcom (RIP in the heaven of the Ltd. companies)
will not fund the event, and as the dorm farms can no longer be the
source of supplies for installation stuff (and I suspect that Aryeh
cannot help much as well). Oh. And the farms cannot offer accomodating
the event, and Beit hastudent is under construction-work. So all in
all, we are talking about more problems, and less resources.

--
Orr Dunkelman,
Orr.Dunkelman at gmail.com

"a scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere
heart of stone" - Charles Darwin.

GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3 2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys. The key
corresponds to orrd at vipe.technion.ac.il)

--
Orr Dunkelman,