[Haifux] W2L + Installation party?

Adir Abraham adir at hamakor.org.il
Wed Sep 17 16:56:32 MSD 2008

Hi Guy,

On 9/17/08, guy keren <choo at actcom.co.il> wrote:

> whatever you do - please be careful with choosing ubuntu - version 8.04
> completely broke sound support for many programs i'm talking about
> usability - not about politics) - and people kept asking questions about
> this issue on the various forums, at least until august (i stopped
> looking, since by that time i managed to somehow work around most of the
> sound issues).
>
> i understood that in fedora 9 (that also integraded soundpulse to some
> extent) - this problem does not exist.

Those are the main things that I checked. Especially for beginners, things
should work out of the box, and we shall never tell them "do this and that,
and now it will work". It's part of the (false) impression that Linux get
because of such things from newbies who just want a new system that works.

As for sound - Mandriva 2009 and Fedora 9 had no problem with any of these.
Wifi, on the other hand, had issues in kernel 2.6.24-2.6.25 when it comes to
Intel cards (especially 3945ABG and 4965AGN which are very common in today's
laptops, especially Dell and Thinkpads). The module had to be reinstalled
with some hacking, and it's not something that you would let newbies to do.
Anyway, those issues were fixed afterwards. Mandriva 2009 includes the
newest kernel (2.6.27-rc5, will be 2.6.27 until it is released) and so does
Fedora 10, so they both don't have those wifi problems. Both wifi and sound
work out of the box.

Regards,

Adir