[Haifux] W2L + Installation party?

Orr Dunkelman orr.dunkelman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 18:18:13 MSD 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Dave Roi <davidroi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe instaparties are still needed, just with more focus on post
> install configuration and usage instructions.

I think a good answer to whether these are needed or not is the
attendance in the last few ones. I haven't been to the last one (where
Moshik Afia has arrived), but I've been to many before, and the last
three I've attended were more populated with installers than
installees. Yes. We are talking about less than 20 installation the
whole day (or even less).

In case an instaparty does happen:

> I suggest focusing on installing all the cool packages that are needed but
> aren't installed by default like setting up the dial up connections to their
> ISPs, codecs, fonts, rar, ace, etc..
most people do not use dial-up these days.
moreover, if you'll get many people, you won't have time for that.
If you'll get a few - what's the point in the whole event?

> I would highly suggest doing the entire installation including post install
> configurations using GUI alone.
an interesting approach. But it will require all the installers to be
aware of the specific GUI tools (I personally do not know even my own
distro's GUI tools, as I use command line).

> No pounding giberish in the Terminal. It scares the newbies away :-)
Don't enter the kitchen if you cannot stand the heat ;)

> Show them the fun stuff, the cool music players like amarok and Listen,
After installation? This should be the deal-maker that leads people to
install. But they will need to use openoffice as well...

> How about a few stations on the side for people to play Nexuiz against each
> other? :-)

LAN party!

> I say lectures aren't needed, just have lots of veterans going around
> helping people.

Should we have lectures on other days?

--
Orr Dunkelman,
Orr.Dunkelman at gmail.com

"a scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere
heart of stone" - Charles Darwin.

GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3 2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys. The key
corresponds to orrd at vipe.technion.ac.il)