[Haifux] W2L discussion

Orr Dunkelman orr.dunkelman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 14:08:56 MSD 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Arguably, the same thing can be said on Windows too. But would you use a
> software that someone can use to install malware on your computer, delete all
> your data, and pwn you?

One of the differences between the Linux users is whether they are
willing to accept the existence of Windows. While I do not think
Windows is the greatest operating system, I think it is useful enough
for many things. I am using windows when I need it (usually I grind my
teeth when I have to do that).

Skype's security holes are mostly conjectured (not confirmed), and as
far as I am concerned, everybody can listen to this specific
conversation (as it was not a confidential information to start with).
When I need real security, trust me, I know how to achieve it.

So, feel free to teach me how to use my computer, but, I can assure
you that I am aware of the risks, did my risk assessment and risk
management, and choose the best approach which would fit _my needs_
for the specific event. In case you have different point of view, feel
free not to use my solution, as it was optimized for _my needs_.

> So it appears to be working correctly, but meanwhile betrays you.

I guess that you have stopped using debian-based distro's following
the amazing recent bug (which btw, even compromised the public key of
the international association for cryptographic research - IACR).

>> I guess that you never entered a car without 5* in NCAP crush tests,
>> designed using AAAAA of BBBB (rather than XXX of YYY) manufactured by
>> ZZZZ, following the latest euro5 emission standard.
>>

> I honestly don't know what you mean by that paragraph.

This thing means that I can also tell you that the car(s) you have
been using are not safe enough, not designed in the right process, and
are too polluting. Even though your choice of car affects my life more
the VoIP solution I'm choosing affects yours, such a statement from my
part (stop using this car brand) is rude, unacceptable and actually
tells more about my lack of confidence than it says anything on the
user of the car.

If you wish to educate people - first do it privately (including the
arrive vs. come thread) and not publicly. Second, probably you are not
aware of all the issues that lead to a specific solution, so unless
you know all the details (which you do not), I would suggest to
refrain from "teaching" me (or for that matter any other person) about
how to use their computers. because as I said, you are also not an
angel (you have rides in cars which were not safe/too polluting/not
socially responsible enough).

Cheers.
--
Orr Dunkelman,
Orr.Dunkelman at gmail.com

"a scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere
heart of stone" - Charles Darwin.

GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3 2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys. The key
corresponds to orrd at vipe.technion.ac.il)