[Haifux] WireShark lecture - Some additional details.

Nir Abulaffio anir at research.haifa.ac.il
Tue Jun 17 18:42:39 MSD 2008

Thank you for listening to me again. I hope I didn't bore some people too
much.
I include, below a list of very useful filters (display and capture).
Note1: display filters can be changed "on the fly" even while capturing,
if your machine is fast enough. (here "fast" depends greatly on WHAT is
being captured.
capture filters cannot be changed without stop and start.
Note2: in the capture panel there is an option "update packets in real
time". If capturing very fast traffic fails, this can be disabled.
I mentioned that real-time-display is a great option, but if all else
fails, you can try without it.
Note3: coloring rules can be saved. I strongly suggest to use coloring and
to save the rules, it helps a lot to understand (at the begining).

Look at the links I supplied last time (see below) - its worth it.

Last note, and thanks to those who send me traces of their adsl or cables
connection : Thank you all. I am going to miluim tomorrow, so, understand
my silence.
Nir.