[Haifux] Linux Raid

Tom Goren motnerog at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 18:12:55 MSK 2008

Ok, did a little more research, and it seems that the controller should work
with no issues in linux (however as storage and not as OS drive),

and it does indeed have to do with some drivers that have to be compiled
into the kernel.

First of all this is according to
this<http://unclean.org/howto/sii3114_linux.html>- an exact guide on
how to compile the kernel so it will support this card,
however it might not be precisely what you need.

This is because it relates to an older kernel version (2.6.4-rc2) and the
'menuconfig' might be a little different.

However, i checked, and in my kernel at home, 2.6.27-gentoo-r6 the option to
use Sil devices is available, albeit in a slightly different wording and
location than the guide i linked to above.

Thus probably in ubuntu 8.10 or 8.04 (2.6.27 and 2.6.24 respectively) you
shouldn't have any problem.

In any case, word of caution: compiling the kernel is easier than it sounds,
and is pretty safe as well, *as long as you keep the old kernel and know how
to configure grub so that you have a failsafe option to boot normally from
your non-custom kernel.*

Have Fun!