[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] All I really need to know about bioinformatics -- Boaz Goldstein

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Aug 3 20:55:46 MSD 2013

On Monday, August 5th at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by
Boaz Goldstein:

    All I really need to know about bioinformatics, I learnt in Haifux

Abstract

Our new ability to create large amounts of biological data has created
an abundance of tools to deal with the manipulations and data-mining
required. however, like every new tool, they have limitations,
edge-cases, and quirks. I've discovered that sometimes the old ways are
the best ways. grep, sort, awk, and sed deal very will with large
data-sets and parallel processing, and I've found that i use them for
90% of bioinformatic tasks, and quite successfully. I will describe the
type of problems i am dealing with, and show why shell is the optimal
solution. a quick genetics intro, in computer terms, will be given, so
no biological knowledge is needed.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

19/08/13 Command-line utilities: Tips and tricks (part II): Eli
          Billauer

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il