[Haifux] Oops your system with plain malloc()

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu May 17 21:48:59 MSD 2012

Hi Eli,

On Thu, 17 May 2012 19:34:12 +0300
Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just wrote a post in my blog about Linux (2.6.35 on x86_64) oopsing
> and hanging when allocating huge amounts of RAM. There are a couple of
> plain C programs in the post that did the job pretty well. You may want
> to try them yourselves. Or maybe suggest reasons why this happens at all.
>
> This is not an issue for me right now, because no real program does what
> those test snippets do. And still, there's something worrying about
> being able to crash the computer completely that easily.
>
> http://billauer.co.il/blog/?p=2837

Thanks for the interesting post. On my system (specs below) with 8GB of RAM and
kernel "Linux telaviv1.shlomifish.org 3.3.6-desktop-1.mga2 #1 SMP Sat May 12
20:01:24 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" memeater does not cause the system to crash.
In fact, everything appears to be fine after running memeater. I'll try it with a vanilla 3.5.x
kernel next and report it here.

Here are my specs:

    An Intel Core i3 CPU (x86-64).
    8 GB of RAM.
    Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    A 2 TB hard-disk.
    A 19״ LCD Screen by ViewSonic.
    Intel Corporation Cougar Point High Definition Audio Controller.
    Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish