[Haifux] Oops your system with plain malloc()

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Thu May 17 20:34:12 MSD 2012

Hi all,

I just wrote a post in my blog about Linux (2.6.35 on x86_64) oopsing
and hanging when allocating huge amounts of RAM. There are a couple of
plain C programs in the post that did the job pretty well. You may want
to try them yourselves. Or maybe suggest reasons why this happens at all.

This is not an issue for me right now, because no real program does what
those test snippets do. And still, there's something worrying about
being able to crash the computer completely that easily.

http://billauer.co.il/blog/?p=2837

Happy crashing,

    Eli

--