[Haifux] Is the risk real? (Was: New mail icon for Thunderbird over Gnome)

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:25:21 MSD 2012

1. My parents' Windows machine got infected with a very hard-to-get-rid-of
virus that turned their machine, which was no server at all, into an SMTP
machine, and used it for massive mail operations.

2. When I was a checker for Wikipedia, I could check the IP of registered
users who violated Wikipedia rules (vandalized pages - in particular,
placed the Nazi flag in Jewish pages). I tried to trace the machine they
were using, and file a complaint (or enable others to file a complaint) to
the relevant body: the ISP (in case of a home connection) or the company
whose machine it was. In some of the cases, the vandalizer used compromised
machines - machines that were known to vandalizers to be open for such use.

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda.
http://ladypine.org