[Haifux] call for lecture: cgroups

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 23:38:49 MSK 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz>wrote:

>  On 12/11/2012 02:35 PM, Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda wrote:
>
> Hello Haifuxers,
>
> Cgroups is a way way to cap specific resource use of applications. For
> example, you can read about what DotCloud does with it:
> http://blog.dotcloud.com/kernel-secrets-from-the-paas-garage-part-24-c.
> Since in the KVM hypervisor each virtual machine is actually a process, it
> can also work for virtual machine resource capping.
>
> Is anybody interested in giving a Haifux talk about Cgroups?
>
> I will use this opportunity to remind that we still have an open
> invitation for a tickless kernel talk.
>
> What would you want to know about the tickless kernel? I don't think it is
> a particularly large subject to carry a complete talk.

How does it work? What is the paradigm change? How should applications
behave to make better use of it? How should one profile the use of a
tickless kernel?

Gilad Ben-Yossef intended to give a talk about this, as well as some
related topics. His abstract (http://www.haifux.org/lectures/JIFFIE/) was:

How Time Flies: Jiffies, Hi-Res Timers and the Tickless Kernel - Gilad
Ben-Yossef Abstract

This lecture, by Gilad Ben-Yossef, describes the Linux time keeping
mechanism and related features, covering:

   - Jiffies and HZ: how the Linux kernel measure the passing of time
   - Hi-Res Timers: Accuracy and precision of the Linux time keeping code
   - Clock sources: abstractions of time keeping hardware
   - Tick-less kernel: how the above contribute to a better Linux
   performance in real time, power consumption and virtualization domains

> Shachar
>
> --
> Shachar Shemesh

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda.