[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Deconstructing Amazon EC2 Spot Instance Pricing by Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sun Sep 25 03:20:34 MSD 2011

On Monday, September 26th (TOMORROW), at 18:30, Haifux will gather to
hear Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda talk about

     Deconstructing Amazon EC2 Spot Instance Pricing

Abstract

Cloud providers possessing large quantities of spare capacity must
either incentivize clients to purchase it or suffer losses. Amazon is
the first cloud provider to address this challenge, by allowing clients
to bid on spare capacity and by granting resources to bidders while
their bids exceed a periodically changing spot price. Amazon publicizes
the spot price but does not disclose how it is determined.
By analyzing the spot price histories of Amazon's EC2 cloud, we reverse
engineer how prices are set and construct a model that generates prices
consistent with existing price traces. We find that prices are usually
not market-driven as sometimes previously assumed. Rather, they are
typically generated at random from within a tight price interval via a
dynamic hidden reserve price. Our model could help clients make informed
bids, cloud providers design profitable systems, and researchers design
pricing algorithms.
Joint work with Muli Ben-Yehuda, Assaf Schuster, Dan Tsafrir: Technion
CS Tech Report CS-2011-09
<http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/wwwb/cgi-bin/tr-info.cgi/2011/CS/CS-2011-09>.

================================

We meet in Taub (CS Faculty) building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

================================
Future Haifux talks include:

10/10/2011 How to Participate in the Linux Kernel Development (and Why)
by Baruch Siach

31/10/2011 Better Performance in Virtualization by Abel Gordon

14/11/2011 GPGPU - Motivation and Architecture by Ofer Rosenberg

28/11/2011 GPGPU - OpenCL by Ofer Rosenberg

12/12/2011 GPGPU - Case studies, Do's and Dont's by Ofer Rosenberg

26/12/2011 GPGPU - Tools and profiling for performance by Ofer Rosenberg

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event Haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il