[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] GPGPU, part 1/4 - Motivation and Architecture by Ofer Rosenberg

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 16:20:54 MSK 2011

Hello all,

The slides on the site are now updated:
http://haifux.org/lectures/267/Introduction-to-GPUs.pdf

As well as the full abstract ( http://haifux.org/lectures/267/ )

Syllabus: Introduction to GPGPU Programming
General Purpose GPU programming became a hot topic in the last few years,
ranging from academic studies to being used by commercial software
products. As an example, three out of the world's top10 supercomputers
(June2011 list) contain GPUs in them. This series of lectures focuses on
OpenCL, the open standard for parallel programming of heterogeneous systems.

1. GPGPU introduction

The first lecture is an introduction to GPU architecture and GPGPU
programing. It covers the differences between GPU and CPU architectures,
and how these differences impose restrictions on programming GPUs. We will
also touch the issue of memory aspects of GPU architecture and the overall
system (CPU & GPU)

2. OpenCL overview

>From the Khronos website: "OpenCL" is the first open, royalty-free standard
for cross-platform, parallel programming of modern processors found in
personal computers, servers and handheld/embedded devices. This lecture
will provide an overview of OpenCL, covering the API programming aspects
(such as OpenCL objects, contexts, queues, events, etc.) as well as the
language enhancements (such as vectors, images, samplers, built-in
functions etc.)

3. OpenCL Do's and Don'ts

This lecture provides a practical guide for programming in OpenCL by doing
a hands-on guided experience of writing OpenCL applications and kernels.
Starting from basic examples through more complex scenarios, we will
provide some tips for writing code that provides the required correct
results. We will also provide some performance tips.

4. OpenCL Optimization & Profiling

This lecture focuses on performance aspects of OpenCL. We will provide a
hands-on experience of improving performance of OpenCL kernels by
optimizing a specific example. In addition we will show ways to profile the
kernel, including working with profiling tools such as AMD kernel profiler
and gDebugger. Note that some of issues presented in this lecture will be
possible only on AMD GPUs.

Orna

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il> wrote:

> **
>
> On Monday, November 14th at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear Ofer
> Rosenberg (AMD Israel) talk about
>

>     GPGPU - Motivation and Architecture
>

>  Abstract
>

>  This is a series of 4 talks about GPGPUs, intended for the practical
> engineer.
>
> 1. Motivation, AMD's architecture
> 2. OpenCL
> 3. Case studies, Dos and Don'ts
> 4. Tools and Profiling for Performance
>

>  Slides can be downloaded at
> http://haifux.org/lectures/267/OpenCL_for_Halifux_new.pdf
>

>  ================================
>  We meet in Taub (CS Faculty) building, room 6. For instructions see:
> http://www.haifux.org/where.html
>
> Attendance is free, and you are all invited!
>
> ================================
> Future Haifux talks include:
>

>  28/11/2011 GPGPU - OpenCL by Ofer Rosenberg
>
> 12/12/2011 GPGPU - Case studies, Do's and Dont's by Ofer Rosenberg
>
> 26/12/2011 GPGPU - Tools and profiling for performance by Ofer Rosenberg
>
> 09/01/2012 Maqaf Hataf Patakh - The new standard Hebrew keyboard layout by
> Amir E. Aharoni

> We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
> give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event Haifux might be
> interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org
>

>  --
> Web: http://www.billauer.co.il

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda.