[Haifux] Cancelled Speech in Haifa, Israel

Tom Balazs tom123online at gmail.com
Mon May 30 15:44:30 MSD 2011

To: Dr Richard Stallman, President, Free Software Foundation
Regarding: Cancelling Speech in Israel After Encountering Opposition
Palestinian Sponsors

Dear Mr. Stallman,

According to your e-mail, you have allowed the Palestinian group sponsoring
your visit to prevent you from speaking in Israel.

I'm not totally naive, so I know that your attempt to include both a talk to
Palestinians and a talk to Israelis was bound to encounter some controversy.

Nevertheless, I can't help thinking that by accepting these conditions that
you are saying that it is somehow "okay" for this group to prevent you from
speaking to Israelis. I wonder if you would be ready to allow an Israeli
group to prevent you from speaking to Palestinians.

I think that the free software movement will be made a bit weaker by this
unfortunate event. I hope you will come and speak in Israel soon.

Sincerely,
Tom Balazs
Haifa, Israel