[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Wikimedia, Wikipedia and free content projects by Tomer Ashur

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sun May 29 03:30:25 MSD 2011

On Monday, May 30th (TOMORROW), at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear
Tomer Ashur talk about

How to Spread Knowledge Throughout the World While Wearing Only Your
Slippers (or Wikimedia, Wikipedia and free content projects)

Abstract

Since its first emergence in 2001, Wikipedia had grown drastically to
become the fifth most viewed website over the Internet in 2012. With
over 12,000,000 articles in more than 250 languages this is now the
largest source of information ever existed. The Wikimedia foundation has
been founded in 2003 as a non-profit organization to support Wikipedia
as well as other online and offline free content projects.

In this talk I will present Wikipedia and other projects of the
Wikimedia foundation and how they work. I will show how one can become a
Wikipedia editor and why would she want to do so. We will talk about
readers, editors, Neutrality, reliability, dispute resolution, style and
free content.

================================

We meet in Taub (CS Faculty) building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

================================
Future Haifux talks include:

13/6/2011 The anatomy of a PCI/PCI Express (Linux) kernel driver by Eli
Billauer
27/6/2011 GPIO, SPI, and I2C Control from Userspace, the True Linux Way
by Baruch Siach
11/7/2011 SSD fundamentals by Amit Berman

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event Haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il