[Haifux] Fwd: Richard Stallman Talk in Haifa -- please pass the word.

Yotam Medini יותם מדיני yotam.medini at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 16:08:59 MSD 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shirley Kenny <skenny07 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM
Subject: Richard Stallman Talk in Haifa -- please pass the word.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Stallman [mailto:rms at gnu.org]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 6:18 PM
Subject: Talk in Haifa -- please pass the word.

My speech will take place at Baladna Youth Club on Thrusday 21st July
at 5pm.  Here's the announcement.  Could you please spread the word?

Copyright versus Community
in the Age of the Computer Networks.

   Copyright developed in the age of the printing press, and was
designed to fit with the system of centralized copying imposed by the
printing press.  But the copyright system does not fit well with
computer networks, and only draconian punishments can enforce it. The
global corporations that profit from copyright are lobbying for
draconian punishments, and to increase their copyright powers, while
suppressing public access to technology.  But if we seriously hope to
serve the only legitimate purpose of copyright--to promote progress,
for the benefit of the public--then we must make changes in the other
direction.

What: A talk by Richard Stallman sponsored by the Youth Group for BDS
(Boycott, Divestment and
Sanctions)

Where:  the Baladna Youth Club, Zion Street 3-A
When: July 21st at 5pm (sharp).

Richard Stallman launched the free software movement in 1983 and
started the development of the GNU operating system (see www.gnu.org
<http://www.gnu.org/#_blank> ) in 1984. GNU is free software: everyone
has the freedom to copy it and redistribute it, as well as to make
changes either large or small. The GNU/Linux system, basically the GNU
operating system with Linux added, is used on tens of millions of
computers today. Stallman has received the ACM Grace Hopper Award, a
MacArthur Foundation fellowship, the Electronic Frontier Foundation's
Pioneer Award, and the the Takeda Award for Social/Economic
Betterment, as well as several honorary doctorates.

The organizers of the event would like it to be known that they are in
full support of the rights of Palestinians. In particular, the
organizers support the call for boycott of complicit Israeli
institutions. Richard Stallman is following the boycott during this
trip out of respect for the Palestinian hosts who invited him to the
region.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation