[Haifux] Pulseaudio: Sounds good in theory

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Fri Jan 14 02:30:05 MSK 2011

Hi,

Thanks for your answers (all of you, that is).

It looks like I blamed pulseaudio, when the problem is really in the
ALSA driver. As a matter of fact, there are several complaints by
pulseaudio in the log file about ALSA misbehaving, and that there is
probably a bug in the snd_hda_intel kernel module, but since ALSA is a
good old friend, and pulseaudio is new and annoying, it's obvious who
one should blame.

There is a related bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/629339

And also some explanation about the glitch-free (ha!) feature in
pulseaudio (the term coined by Microsoft, just to poke a bit more on
pulseaudio): http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html

I tried the tsched=0 workaround, and it made things just worse.

So the solution is to upgrade my kernel. Which I shall. But first I have
to verify that the TTY-related bug in 2.6.36 has been fixed so I can log
into my computer.

In the meanwhile, I found "pacmd" which is a swiss-knife general
command-line interface for digging into what pulseaudio is up to. Much
of my antagonism vanished when I found this little utility, as it gives
me a chance to debug things. I don't know how useful it really is, but
at least it gives me an illusion of understanding what's going on. pactl
is its little brother.

Among silly amusements, one can play samples in the pulseaudio cache.
The only sample found on my computer was the desktop's default bell
sound, but hey, I can play it without Gnome asking for it! Is that
exciting or what!

As for breaking dependencies by stealing Fedora-14 RPM and installing
them on my FC12 -- surprisingly enough, I installed a bunch of
audio-related RPMs with a simple rpm -i and all the dependencies were
OK. The bad news and the good news are that nothing changed.

So I'll bare with these pulseaudio restarts for a while, and then make
my hopefully last kernel upgrade, and hope everything ticks like a
clockwork (am I optimistic or what?)

   Eli

Web: http://www.billauer.co.il