[Haifux] No Poetry Today

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Mon Aug 8 18:51:07 MSD 2011

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 02:33:08PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 10:43:16AM +0300, Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda wrote:

> > > I have no simple topic for a lecture. Though I wonder if it's possible
> > > to do an OpenStreetMap[1] mapping session instead. Note that it cannot be
> > > done at the standard place because:
> > >
> > > 1. We need to add data. I suspect the Technion campus is already
> > > well-charted.
> > >
> > > 2. We later need to upload data and edit it. This requires internet
> > > connectivity.
> > >

> > > Generally I would expect this to be done in small teams where each team
> > > must have:
> > >
> > > * BigBrother: with a GPS device monitoring the location. That trace
> > >  should then be later to his/her OpenStreetMap account for easier
> > >  mapping in a different computer.
> > >
> > > * Mapper: Someone who knows what we actually need to chart (and what we
> > >  don't have to / shouldn't)
> > >
> > > A team should probably include 1-3 other participants.
> > >

> > > After finishing to cover an area, the team should move on to a place
> > > with an internet access and update the data.
> > >

> > > [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/
> > >

> > Great idea. I suggest the following organization:
> >
> > 1. The mapper (volunteer required?) will find areas that need coverage, and
> > prepare a list.
>
> Looking at the map of Haifa[1] I can't pin-point a specific area that
> needs improvements. Things that may be missing:
>
> * English names
> * Arabic names (are mostly missing)
> * Footwalks
> * Any other places worth mentioning: restaurants and such.
>
> [1] http://osm.org/go/xtTpfiR1-- and that area

Looking at it again, I bet the area of Nesher could use a loving hand.
Compare the Technion to Nesher in http://osm.org/go/xtTp0gf7 .

So maybe we'll start with something along the lines of:

http://osm.org/go/xtTp0idT2--
http://osm.org/go/xtTp0q4OV--
http://osm.org/go/xtTp0z4xZ--

That is: basically the area of Nesher near the Technion.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best