[Haifux] No Poetry Today

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Mon Aug 8 18:33:08 MSD 2011

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 10:43:16AM +0300, Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 02:37:32PM +0300, Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > > Orr writes poetry,
> > > I am not in the mood.
> > > The talk queue is empty,
> > > and this is not good.
> > >
> > > So think of a topic,
> > > Suggest  an idea,
> > > Pick yourself a date
> > > Winter is near.
> >
> > I have no simple topic for a lecture. Though I wonder if it's possible
> > to do an OpenStreetMap[1] mapping session instead. Note that it cannot be
> > done at the standard place because:
> >
> > 1. We need to add data. I suspect the Technion campus is already
> > well-charted.
> >
> > 2. We later need to upload data and edit it. This requires internet
> > connectivity.
> >

> > Generally I would expect this to be done in small teams where each team
> > must have:
> >
> > * BigBrother: with a GPS device monitoring the location. That trace
> >  should then be later to his/her OpenStreetMap account for easier
> >  mapping in a different computer.
> >
> > * Mapper: Someone who knows what we actually need to chart (and what we
> >  don't have to / shouldn't)
> >
> > A team should probably include 1-3 other participants.
> >

> > After finishing to cover an area, the team should move on to a place
> > with an internet access and update the data.
> >

> > [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/
> >

> Great idea. I suggest the following organization:
>
> 1. The mapper (volunteer required?) will find areas that need coverage, and
> prepare a list.

Looking at the map of Haifa[1] I can't pin-point a specific area that
needs improvements. Things that may be missing:

* English names
* Arabic names (are mostly missing)
* Footwalks
* Any other places worth mentioning: restaurants and such.

[1] http://osm.org/go/xtTpfiR1-- and that area

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best