[Haifux] No Poetry Today

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 11:43:16 MSD 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 02:37:32PM +0300, Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > Orr writes poetry,
> > I am not in the mood.
> > The talk queue is empty,
> > and this is not good.
> >
> > So think of a topic,
> > Suggest  an idea,
> > Pick yourself a date
> > Winter is near.
>
> I have no simple topic for a lecture. Though I wonder if it's possible
> to do an OpenStreetMap[1] mapping session instead. Note that it cannot be
> done at the standard place because:
>
> 1. We need to add data. I suspect the Technion campus is already
> well-charted.
>
> 2. We later need to upload data and edit it. This requires internet
> connectivity.
>

> Generally I would expect this to be done in small teams where each team
> must have:
>
> * BigBrother: with a GPS device monitoring the location. That trace
>  should then be later to his/her OpenStreetMap account for easier
>  mapping in a different computer.
>
> * Mapper: Someone who knows what we actually need to chart (and what we
>  don't have to / shouldn't)
>
> A team should probably include 1-3 other participants.
>

> After finishing to cover an area, the team should move on to a place
> with an internet access and update the data.
>

> [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Great idea. I suggest the following organization:

1. The mapper (volunteer required?) will find areas that need coverage, and
prepare a list.
2. People will sign up to areas and groups (a wiki page would be a good
media for this), statingif they got a GPS device.
3. In a Haifux meeting, Tzafrir (who kind of volunteered) or and/or others
will
A. help people configure their GPSes and install them with whatever needed.
This will enable people who are not good technically to join the effort,
including school kids on vacation etc (great activity for the summer).
B. explain how to upload the data exactly.
4. People will take the tours and upload the data on their own time.
5.If they had any trouble, we will devote the beginning of the next Haifux
meeting to helping them do it.

Tzafrir, can you be the mapper, or do you depend on someone else?

> --
> Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
> http://tzafrir.org.il |                    | a Mutt's
> tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best