[Haifux] Kernel for Fedora: Repository or vanilla?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Sep 19 15:38:45 MSD 2010

On Sunday 19 September 2010 13:12:26 Eli Billauer wrote:
> Hi,
>

> As some of you may recall, I took the unbelievable step of upgrading to
> Fedora 12 a few months ago, and since then I've been adapting myself to
> the concept of yum keeping track of the software on my computer and not
> myself untarring-compiling-make install. Which is fine so far.
>

> But now it comes to kernel. My view is still that you're not a man
> unless you're running a kernel you've compiled yourself. Besides, there
> are some sporadic crashes, which seem to be related to the Radeon
> graphics card. And the old saying when that happens is: Upgrade your
> kernel.
>

> I checked what happens down in /usr/src/kernels just to find out, that
> there are three kernels installed, all of which are 2.6.32-XX-XXX. So
> obviously there *are* updates to the kernel made by yum, but somehow
> without changing the kernel version.
>

> So what do you say? Should I download, compile and install the latest
> vanilla kernel, or should I rely on what I get from the repository? It's
> not like there is any problem compiling modules on the existing kernel,
> so it all boils down to whether the updated vanilla kernel is better
> than what yum updates me with.

Well, from what I was told Red Hat does not provide support for systems that
don't run their distribution kernels, so if you report bugs, you'll need to
reproduce them with the distribution kernels. Of course, if the system crash
for you and you believe the kernel is at fault, then you can try upgrading it.
Which driver for the ATI Radeon cards are you using? I had the most luck with
the open-source "radeon" driver.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish