[Haifux] Login console freezes: Eli's weekly riddle

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Thu Oct 28 19:59:39 MSD 2010

Hi,

PAM did indeed cross my mind as a suspect. Unfortunately, I have no
/var/log/auth* logfiles. As a matter of fact, I don't have any log
messages related to authentication. In my very old Redhat 7.3, I had
pam_unix messages in /var/log/messages telling me who has changed user
ID. On Fedora 12, nothing is mentioned about becoming root in
/var/log/messages, and I can't see any directory or file in /var/log
that seems to contain that information. Maybe under the audit directory,
but the files there are not really human readable.

Any idea of where my authenticate mechanism keeps its logs?

And why a kernel upgrade would have any effect?

<rant>In the past, I clearly recall just upgrading my kernel and all was
fine. Where are those days?</rant>

Thanks,

   Eli

--