[Haifux] Router question

Ohad Lutzky ohad at lutzky.net
Sat Oct 16 21:36:18 MSD 2010

Hello everyone,

I have a Linksys DSL-2760u router/DSL modem, using a Wow (Bezeq) connection
to the Bezeq International ISP. It seems that various outgoing ports are
blocked - HTTP, HTTPS, bittorrent and SSH work well enough, but - for
example - I can't download Android apps from the Market. Easier to test, I
can't download PGP public keys. For example:

gpg -v -v --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv F120156012B83718
gpg: requesting key 12B83718 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net

This hangs indefinitely. So does this:
telnet subkeys.pgp.net 11371
Trying 195.113.19.83...

The same occurs for other keyservers, git-protocol, and various other
"unconventional" high-port usage. I've gone over the router settings,
disabled its firewall (but not NAT, which I need), added my machine to the
DMZ (this actually seems to help, sometimes, for git - and even then, only
once), tried port triggering... I can't get a consistent result.

I should note that this issue only exists for *outgoing* ports. I have no
problem mapping *incoming* ports (such as my openssh server or bittorrent
web interface).

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that
is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to

Ohad Lutzky