[Haifux] [HAIFUX LECTURE] Difference Engine (Gupta et al.) - Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 16:36:51 MSD 2010

Note - Asaf Bartov's talk about software for the Ben Yehuda project (
http://benyehuda.org) was postponed by two weeks.
-------
This Monday, June 7th at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear Orna Agmon
Ben-Yehuda discuss Gupta et al.'s paper (and work) on Difference Engine.

Abstract

Difference Engine is an extension to Xen, which is an open-source
hypervisor. The paper, titled "Difference Engine: Harnessing Memory
Redundancy in Virtual Machines", by Diwaker Gupta, Sangmin Lee,Michael
Vrable, Stefan Savage, Alex C. Snoeren, George Varghese, Geoffrey M.
Voelker, and Amin Vahdat, won a best paper award in OSDI'08. I will not
present the conference talk (which is just a taste, and for which slides are
unavailable) but the full paper, including my comments on it.

The paper is at:
http://www.usenix.org/events/osdi08/tech/full_papers/gupta/gupta.pdf. The
mp3 of the talk given in the conference is at:
http://www.usenix.org/media/events/osdi08/tech/mp3s/gupta.mp3.

==============================
Future talks include:

21/06/10 The Ben Yehuda Project Software - Asaf Bartov
05/07/10 GarlicSim: An experimental tool for computer simulations - Ram
Rachum
...GAPS for YOU to fill...
13/09/10 Secure File Systems: Orr Dunkelman

(The gap between the lectures is intended for YOU to lecture about something
interesting!)

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!
--
Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda.
http://ladypine.org

--