[Haifux] QEMU/KVM vs. VMWare: The beauty and the beast

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Mon Jan 11 02:01:56 MSK 2010

Sorana Fraier wrote:

> which laptop you bought?
I cooked a desktop. 4 GB of RAM (to be expanded), 1 TB hard disk and a
Gigabyte motherboard.
> why don't you try vmware workstation or ESXi? esxi is free.
> http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/

Why should I? In particular, ESXi is for server virtualization, if I got
it right.

> how you created the image of the windows 2000? you created vmdk? iso?
> and played in
I put a liveCD in the Windows 2000 computer, and used netcat to copy a
full disk image (/dev/hda, 160 GB) into a file in the host computer. It
takes a few hours.

> I don't understand something about vmplayer. Vmplayer allows you to
> run a virtual machine already made (iso or vmdk)
If it allows me to a Linux machine from a liveCD image (ISO) with a
virtual hard disk attached and a virtual NIC, nothing can stop me from
copying my image into the virtual disk.

> so which windows you ran in vmware player?
I ran my own Windows 2000 machine successfully, I crashed when trying to
do the same with XP.

    Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il