[Haifux] X terminal

Zaar Hai haizaar at haizaar.com
Tue Aug 10 13:53:58 MSD 2010

Just a few notes about NX - its a remote desktop software for Linux.
They have a client for mostly all platforms (including Windows of
course) and server software that consists of free and non-free part.
freenx project aims to replace that non-free part. There is also an
alternative to freenx - neatx project sponsored by Google.

NX is very network efficient - one can have 5 full KDE desktops with
1680x1050 resolution on 1500/500 kbit line.

NX also supports mounting remote desktop media locally and redirecting
remote sound to local (client) computer. Printer exposure is also
supported

2010/8/10 Shahar Dag <dag at cs.technion.ac.il>:
> Hello
>
> Thanks for all the people who send me suggestions.
> I will try to summarize:
>
> http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/en/, do not need installation. Just download
> the executable & run it. Seems very nice. (This is also the program that the
> computer center at the Technion recommends.)
> http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/, how do you download it without
> registration? You can download an older version from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/.
> Xvnc
> run X server over cygwin
> http://freenx.berlios.de/, (FreeNX), I am not sure that they have a version
> for windows.
>
> Right now I am going to test mobaXterm. If I will find anything interesting
> I will report it to the list.
>
> Thanks
> Shahar

Zaar