[Haifux] Me Volunteering to Give a Presentation

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 12:37:45 MSD 2009

2009/9/7 Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda <ladypine at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Remember, LUG is Linux _User_ Group, so I think that the lectures
>> should focus on the users.
>
> "      What's in a name? that which we call a rose
>      By any other name would smell as sweet; "
>
>                                    ---Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, 1594

Are you arguing that words have no meaning, and that one could say
whatever he wants, giving his own meanings to the words and let the
listener guess as to what the meanings might be? My answer to your
quote would be:
"A clever quote proves nothing"
    -- Voltaire

> Haifux is what we make of it. "We" are the people who attend the meetings.

With that I could agree!

> Therefore, we have long ago expanded the charter of a LUG to code
> developing, non-Linux FOSS, open architectures, free graphics, public
> domain literature, free licensing and other related topics.

I have no problem with this, in fact as a largely silent "member" of
Haifux I do not expect that it would matter even if I did have a
problem! However, I felt it right to point out to Shlomi from which
perspective his lecture would be most parallel with what I perceive
Haifux to be.

> BTW, when Haifux was founded in 1999 by guy keren and Orr Dunkelman,
> it was not based on a LUG but on LUPG - Little Unix Programmers Group:
> http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/

I see no mention of Haifux on that page, nor of that page on the
Haifux site. Therefore, one could not deduce the Little Unix
Programmers Group moniker from publicly- available Haifux information.
I will however quote the opening lines of the Haifux website:
"The Haifa Linux Club is a home for Linux users and programmers in the
Haifa area. Haifux stands for Haifa Linux Users Group."

So, while you are correct that the group is made for programmers as
well as users, I still contend that the name implies users as the main
audience. Despite that, being that programmers are specifically
mentioned in who the group is for, a lecture aimed at programmers
would in fact be appropriate for the group.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il