[Haifux] Me Volunteering to Give a Presentation

Kohn Emil Dan emild at cs.technion.ac.il
Sun Sep 6 19:04:37 MSD 2009

Hi,

I would like to hear a lecture on cmake.

 					Regards,
 						Emil

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Hi all,

due to the lack of recent volunteer presenters in the open-source clubs, I
decided to step forward and volunteer to give a presentation. The usual caveat
is that I tend to give pretty bad presentations: I don't have good diction,
tend to create bad slides (though I'll try to spice them with some images, and
good presentation advice - http://perl.net.au/wiki/Resources_for_Presenters -
etc.)

In any case I can give a talk about:

1. CMake - http://www.cmake.org/ - the opossum alternative to the GNU
Autotools (a.k.a GNU Autohell). I gave a presentation about GNU Autotools
before, which I knew were very bad, but has since then reached nirvana with
CMake.

2. jQuery - portable and concise JavaScript - http://jquery.com/ - jQuery is
the "write less - do more" JavaScript library, which abstracts most common
JavaScript tasks in a succinct interface, which greatly speeds up and
facilitates the coding. My approach to this will be to give several jQuery
examples, and explain how and why they work.

3. "Bottom-up Subversion" - an introduction to http://subversion.tigris.org/
in a bottom-up fashion, as a complementary to the svnbook -
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ .

4. Anything from here - http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/ . I may need to
update some of these presentations.

5. I can also adapt a lot of stuff from here -
http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/ (should have been /essays/ or /articles/
or something - yet another historical URL on my site) to presentations.

6. I've been working on the fifth installment of my Perl-for-Newbies
presentation:

http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Perl/Newbies/lecture5/

My Perl-for-Newbies presentations did not prove very popular when I gave them
one after the other to Telux, but I can give this separately.

Regards,

 	Shlomi Fish