[Haifux] [W2L] Call for lecturer + "Linux guru"

boazg boaz.gezer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 15:35:09 MSD 2009

it seems that on t2 (now called stud) you can use not only file:/// but also
svn+ssh://, with only a student account. in that case i agree that
subversion is much better than git for this purpose.

as for the question of why do you need version control for something as
simple as MATAM, it really makes a huge difference from my experience. it
saves alot of the "ok i did this now you do this" and the "crap we messed up
let's hope there's a backup of this in my inbox" and lets you focus on the
work. while some students may be skeptical, this IMHO will become a killer
app and a must for many students and may give us an upper hand.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 10:05, Vadim Eisenberg <vadim.eisenberg at gmail.com>wrote:

> guy keren wrote:
> > you can mention memory leaks if you want - but students don't care about
> them so much, because it doesn't break their programs.
>
> Starting from the Winter 2008-2009 semester, the memory leaks are checked
> in Matam (Introduction to Systems Programming) course and 1 point is reduced
> for each leak. The check is done automatically, using, guess what, valgrind.
> So the students in Matam actually care very much about the memory leaks.
>
> Vadim

Mike Ditka <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html>  -
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."