[Haifux] FOSS/Proprietary Debate

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 07:12:29 MSK 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 06:01:27PM +0200, Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda wrote:
> > Hello all, and especially the avid argumentative people,
> >
> > The Technion debate club has offered to organize a show-debate on the
> > subject of FOSS vs. proprietary software.
>
> Could you please be more specific? There are a number of quite different
> questions:
>
> * Is FOSS useful for the economy?
> * Is proprietary software good for the economy?
> * Is proprietary software immoral?
>
> etc.
>

> Here is an example of a more focused question:
>
>  Should FOSS be preffered to proprietary software in goverenment
>  contracts?

The specific question was not decided yet. Given the resignation of Boaz
Dolev of the ministry of finance, who is a supporter of FOSS in gov, it is a
good time for the gov question, IMHO.

Another battlefield is the user's perspective - "should I prefer to install
FOSS on my machine(s)" (as opposed to should I prefer to develop FOSS).