[Haifux] advanced of programming in Linux

Vadim Eisenberg vadim.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:32:52 MSK 2009

FYI – a nice article of Joel Spolsky about the differences between Unix and
Windows - http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Biculturalism.html .

Some quotes from the article:

*By now, Windows and Unix are functionally more similar than different. They
both support the same major programming metaphors, from command lines to
GUIs to web servers; they are organized around virtually the same panoply of
system resources, from nearly identical file systems to memory to sockets
and processes and threads. There's not much about the core set of services
provided by each operating system to limit the kinds of applications you can
create.*

*What's left is cultural differences.*

*...*

*What are the cultural differences between Unix and Windows programmers?
There are many details and subtleties, but for the most part it comes down
to one thing: Unix culture values code which is useful to other programmers,
while Windows culture values code which is useful to non-programmers.*

*...*

Regards,

Vadim