[Haifux] advanced of programming in Linux

Tzafrir Rehan tzafrir.r at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:30:54 MSK 2009

Some short scripts I wrote:

Download a website every 5 minutes and send me a email if it changed (used
when waiting for grades in physics)

- Windows doesn't have a method of downloading a file, doesn't have a method
of sending emails, doesn't have a method of comparing files
- In linux this took me less than a minute to write

Rotate between several background images

- I have no idea what a programmer needs to do in windows to change the
background, it might be simple, but I'm guessing it's not
- In linux (gnome) if you change the file used as background, the background
changes. Rotating between images in a directory was easy to write

I have a icon in my toolbar that pops up a window in which I paste a URL to
a PDF file, when I hit OK the PDF is sent to the printer (two sided)

- Good luck getting that done in windows