[Haifux] Haifux Digest, Vol 17, Issue 15

Eran Arbel sabrerunner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 09:59:51 MSK 2009

Hi, some time reader, first time writer.
I'm a second year CS student and had to work with the Linux in the farms for
a while now and frankly, I love the idea that someone finally forced me to
use Linux. I think it's a good thing.

I've already had stuff explained to me and had a chance to explain things to
others. I already told people that they better get used to using the Linux
and Unix on the farm machines. Firstly, because they have to; Secondly,
because it's better; And thirdly, because it's fun.

Problems of Windows\Linux compatibility with code files I solved with
Notepad++. I don't know if there's a Linux version or a Linux substitute but
it's an awesome writer for windows that can display context in many
languages and can also convert to\from Windows from\to Linux formatting.
Saved me a lot of trouble.

The new Open Office version (3 and up) is completely compatible with
MS-Office 2007 documents and gave me no trouble as much as I've used it,
making it better than MS-Office if compatibility is the question. It looks
different but doesn't require that much of a leap to change to. And it's
freely available to both Windows and Linux users.

I used vim to program on the Linux and Unix machines but my brother
recommended Eclipse so I want to try that if anyone is willing to teach me.

I know of a Linux geek in the CS farm's support team but I think it takes
more than that. I don't know how the W2L lectures went before but I agree
that installing Linux, as far as I tried Ubuntu, is pretty straight forward.
It's all the configuration afterwords that's troublesome. Up until now I
have failed completely at configuring mine for WiFi and a secondary display
and those two, along with 'How the hell do I run a Virtual Machine\Box on my
Linux?' are the major hurdles before I completely switch to Linux. So, any
info on that will be welcome. (I've tried Ubuntu 8.04 and fiddled with
Satanic slightly but not much)

--
Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.
And no one ever said being a heretic was easy.
May we meet in Less Interesting Times...
http://eran.geek.co.il