[Haifux] "Windows-Free" laptops in Haifa

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Mon Feb 9 12:15:36 MSK 2009

Shachar Raindel wrote:

> When shopping for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1525) I found out that
> windows Vista basic have a NEGATIVE price of 200$ - the N series which
> had linux preinstalled cost 200 USD more than the normal variation,
> which was (and still is) in a constant "sale", offering it 250$
> cheaper. Therefore, I got a machine which had windows preinstalled,
> and upgraded to linux upon arrival. On the upper side though, since
> Dell officially support linux on their laptops, the hardware support
> is excellent, and the laptop is working with Ubuntu 8.10 flawlessly
> (except for video tearing due to problems in Intel's drivers).
>
> --Shachar

And here's the kicker.

Since you obviously did pay for the windows you got, you are still at
liberty to ask for a refund for it. Even better, should Dell try to give
you a hard time over it, they will be hard pressed to explain why two
identical hardware laptops should cost so differently, unless they are
getting some illegal (for Microsoft, not Dell*) incentives.

Shachar

* The consent decree that Microsoft is bound by does not allow it to
force, or even financially encourage, OEMs to ship Windows over other
platforms. It is not illegal for Dell to accept such a bribe, but it is
illegal for Microsoft to give it.