[Haifux] The 10th tip?

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Sat Feb 7 22:46:37 MSK 2009

On Saturday, 7 בFebruary 2009, Dave Roi wrote:
> Every single task a Linux user (user, not administrator) or even a
> programmer will ever want to do, he can do it using GUI alone.
--^^^^^^^^^^ What?

Let's start with iteration. Just inform us when your mouse
gets dizzy from going in circles...

  for i in `cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd`
  do
    if ! echo "Linux party in 5 minutes" | write "$i" 2>/dev/null
    then
       echo "You missed a great Linux event" | mail "$i"
    fi
  done

If that's hard, let's take something simpler -- try to achieve
what pipes are doing with a GUI -- here is a starter for you:

  ps -ef | cut -c53- | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

(the result is left as an exercise to the reader).

This doesn't mean there aren't tasks that are easier with a GUI.
As a generalization, GUI is simpler for rarely used tasks (because
it guides you), while command-line rules for repetitive tasks.

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
First we take Manhattan , then we take Berlin...(Leonard Cohen).