[Haifux] The 10th tip?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 12:00:20 MSK 2009

> The curriculum is such that they use Linux right from the start - that is,
> they have to make their C and C++ programs run on our "mainframe" - and they
> use a terminal windows to logon to that. Moreover, in their second semester
> "Introduction to Systems Programming" they learn about makefiles, shell
> programming and other "UNIX" stuff. We just do not do enough to make this
> learning effective... But, this beginners' courses lie out of the scope of

I have worked in a mechanical garage for six years. I know to rebuild
engines, replace entire steering / braking systems, replace almost
anything electrical in the vehicle, replace trim components, and of
course how to diagnose mechanical problems.

I have no problem getting all dirty and spending days on a customer's
vehicle. But my own car? No thanks, I want it trouble free and I do
_not_ want to get dirty.

I think that it is reasonable to assume that CS students feel the same
about their professions and their own computers.

Dotan Cohen