[Haifux] [CALL FOR COOPERATION] 0AD - A real-time strategy game, now in open source.

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 23:51:44 MSD 2009

Hello Avid (or not yet) Gamers,

We are trying to get a talk about FOSS games, specifically 0AD, in Haifux.
For this, the speakers (Aviv Sharon and Shimon Grinberg) need a "nice
PC" for class demonstrations. Below follows the definition of "NICE
PC" by Aviv. If you are willing to put some work into it, we can have
a unique Haifux talk.

The lecture is intended for December 7th.

Thanks for your cooperation,
Orna.

   - Either Windows or Linux (or OS X if you insist)
   - An adequately high-spec computer - several gigabytes of free disk
   space, preferably at least 1GB of RAM for compiling, a fast CPU unless you
   want to spend ages waiting for the compiler, etc. Modern graphics hardware
   is also recommended, though the game can run (slowly) on fairly old devices
   (GeForce 4, Intel 945GM, etc).
   - Up-to-date system software (Windows service packs, graphics driver
   updates, etc).

My source is http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions,
where further information about building the game can be found.

The game runs slowly on my MSI Wind netbook, which was never built for
gaming. (Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM). The graphics card is very poor for
gaming (Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family) so some of the water
graphics had to be disabled and the animation is choppy. Anything better is
welcome.

- Aviv