[Haifux] W2L + Installation party?

Adir Abraham adir at hamakor.org.il
Wed Sep 17 20:06:46 MSD 2008

On 9/17/08, Orr Dunkelman <orr.dunkelman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think a good answer to whether these are needed or not is the
> attendance in the last few ones. I haven't been to the last one (where
> Moshik Afia has arrived), but I've been to many before, and the last
> three I've attended were more populated with installers than
> installees. Yes. We are talking about less than 20 installation the
> whole day (or even less).

Every year is a new year with new people who wish to learn and get familiar
with new things. I also don't believe that we actually organized it in such
a great way where we can say that we can't improve it anymore.

In case an instaparty does happen:

> > I suggest focusing on installing all the cool packages that are needed
> but
> > aren't installed by default like setting up the dial up connections to
> their
> > ISPs, codecs, fonts, rar, ace, etc..
>
> most people do not use dial-up these days.
> moreover, if you'll get many people, you won't have time for that.
> If you'll get a few - what's the point in the whole event?

You can add a special table for configurations. It's been done in the past.
Most of the requests are the same. Let's call that place "Practical FAQ" :-)

> I would highly suggest doing the entire installation including post
> install
> > configurations using GUI alone.
>
> an interesting approach. But it will require all the installers to be
> aware of the specific GUI tools (I personally do not know even my own
> distro's GUI tools, as I use command line).

There's no problem in doing that today. One of way to attract new users is
to show them GUI installation and post-installation.

> No pounding giberish in the Terminal. It scares the newbies away :-)
>
> Don't enter the kitchen if you cannot stand the heat ;)

Let them get into the kitchen when they got used to the smell ;)

> > I say lectures aren't needed, just have lots of veterans going around
> > helping people.
>

> Should we have lectures on other days?

Lectures can be relevant if they are done, for example, in two tracks -
newbies and techies. Some lectures can be combined for both groups in the
same time.

Regards,

Adir